Specialist Knowledge for Teaching Mathematics- Primary Early Career Teachers 2021-22
This project is designed to support primary early career teachers (teachers in their first two years of teaching) in developing specialist knowledge for teaching mathematics, thus enabling them to understand, teach and support pupils in maths in the classroom.
WHO CAN TAKE PART?
This programme is designed for primary early career teachers (those in their first or second year of teaching).
WHAT IS INVOLVED?
At a local level, Work Groups will explore one of the following themes:
- designing effective learning and teaching in maths (building early number concepts)
- designing effective learning and teaching in maths (additive reasoning)
- designing effective learning and teaching in maths (multiplicative reasoning).
Participants will work deeply on one area of maths, drawing in the associated pedagogy, and activities will include lesson analysis and lesson design. This programme will take place across the equivalent of four days.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
- plan and teach a carefully sequenced and coherent area of maths
- appreciate the key ideas underpinning the area of maths being taught
- understand key principles and approaches associated with teaching for mastery
- understand approaches to assess pupils’ prior learning, so that learning sequences take this into account
- make appropriate use of representations to expose the structure of the maths being taught.
DATES AND LOCATION
For 2021/22 these are to be confirmed.
The Work Group is offered free to all state-funded secondary schools in England.
HOW TO APPLY
For a place on the 2021/22 Work Group please register your interest here
The ongoing impact of the coronavirus outbreak and knock on effects on schools life remain uncertain. So, all Maths Hubs work will adapt to changing realities. There’s likely to be more live online collaboration, for example. In addition Work Groups content will address both schools recovery from coronavirus related disruption and the central maths subject matter of each project.